Jamie Reid, Ragged Kingdom – Exhibiting June 14th – July 14th
Roll up! Roll up! The pioneering and world-renowned punk artist comes to Temple.Works.Leeds.
About the exhibition
In Jubilee June, Jamie Reid – the pioneering and world-renowned artist of punk art who put the safety pin into the Queen’s nose – is coming to Leeds, bringing his 40 year retrospective and current show “Ragged Kingdom” to Temple.Works.Leeds for the month of June 14-July 14. There will be sound and fury, art, punk, poets, food and drink inside a Grade One Listed building site.
While most notorious for his iconic work with the Sex Pistols, graphic artist Reid is as well known for his long career as the punchline in the side of capitalism, who still paints “damn them all” over the images of the Monarchy. Monday May 28th saw the re-release of God Save the Queen by the remaining Sex Pistols to coincide with the Diamond Jubilee. Jamie makes a much greater point about authority and its abuse especially in today’s political, economic and social climate.
Jamie comes to Temple.Works.Leeds
Since his first visit in the summer of 2009 Jamie has wanted to exhibit his work at Temple.Works.Leeds, the Grade One Listed Holbeck warehouse with its extreme vistas, both raw and figured, and its history at the heart of the second Industrial revolution.
Not for the faint of heart, it is the rough and raw areas where Jamie will install his work, with the collections spanning forty years and including Suburban Press, Sex Pistols, How To Become Invisible / Leaving The C20th, Strongroom and Afro Celt Soundsystem-related material, as well as work that is associated with Jamie’s current Eightfold Year project, the magnificent towering teepees.
- Opening June 14, 6:30pm -9:30 pm at Temple.Works.Leeds on Marshall Street, Holbeck, Leeds LS11 9YJ. Closing midnight on July 14 at Temple.Works.Leeds
- Free entry to the exhibition though only to over 14’s. No entry to those under 15 – even if accompanied by an adult – as Temple.Works,Leeds is partly a building site. One day will be Family Day at which time those 12 and over can enter if accompanied by an adult, one adult per child. Date to be announced.
- Opening times: unless otherwise noted, the exhibition will be open from Saturday June 16 to Saturday July 14 as follows:
- Wed – Fri, 7-9pm. Fri also 12-5 pm. Saturdays and Sundays 12 noon – 5pm.
- Parking free after 7pm Mon-Fri and on weekends. Accessible. Limited toilets. Bar during events, water available during exhibition visits.
And there’s more – Art, parties and events
We’ve a full line-up of events and parties to support the Ragged Kingdom exhibition – including Ragged Nights 3 weekend parties featuring punk & punk influenced bands on Friday June 15th and Saturday June 23rd…
For more information on the exhibition and the full line up of supporting events visit www.templeworksleeds.com and follow us on: